Tuesday, December 18, 2007

huckabee hound

As a man who generally believes in science I am concerned by the recent rise of M. Huckabee in the polls. As his recent Rolling Stone profile shows he is a man that believes in a view of the world as seen by 15th century scientists and theologians. The world is not 6,000 thousand yrs old but he apparently believes such.
I have known in my life several people like him. I am sure he is generally a good man , love to set down and have a cup of coffee with him but as a nation lagging behind in education of the hard science subjects can we afford such a frontrunner in Iowa?
As a man who grew up near many of the GE research and development labs I have a real sense that our leadership in the science world and therefore our lead economically is faltering. This country was built on science as much as any spiritual traditions. We seem to increasingly loose sight of that fact as a people and nation.
It is time we begin to ask our candidates their opinions not only on such subjects as taxation or the chances for a Middle East peace accord but how they feel about education , science and their willingness to support science.
When I was a kid we had a cartoon intitled Huckaberry Hound by Hanna Barberra. A goofy dog that sang My Darling Clementine as he strolled through his life. I fear this candidate is singing his song on his vote getting tour of America , leaving behind inconvenient textbooks and data as
he courts those who can't wait for the school bell to sound .

No comments: