Friday, February 29, 2008

My Sources , My Family , History

With the passing of William F. Buckley this week , a political figure of some weight in the latter half of the 20th Century I began to cast my mind back to my own family. Buckley made it to 82yrs. My family is both blessed and cursed in many cases with long {sometimes to long] lives. My last greatgreat aunt died at age 102 in 1991 for instance. My father was wellinto his 50's when I was born {surprise}. Hence some of my sources. Old relatives , family reunions etc. My aunt , I spoke of, husband was a pilot in WW1. 72nd Aero Sq. James grave is marked as such near Chatham. Those were some stories I remember as a kid listening to. So you see my sources are from the oral traditions as well as others. Probably my interest in history and archeology stem from those discussions as a youth and later.
My career choices took me in other directions but I always return to what was. As a matter of fact I have come to believe we carry history with us. In the nature vs nurture arguement our ancient relations have their say , in both our gene pools and in the history they were part of. So I sit here pecking away , putting down some small find or thought. Adding a small side street to some tiny town in this gene pool of the web.

No comments: