Sunday, July 12, 2009

Ocean to Ice Age In My Hometown Schodack NY

Sometimes in my rambling attempts at archaeology & history I sometimes forget my lessons in geology. My lessons in the truly ancient. My hometown south of Albany has been covered by oceans & by glaciers as have been many places. The rounded pebbles I find 3 ft down on a dig glacier made , ravines cut not simply by water erosion but by ancient forces through millions of uncounted yrs. Once an ocean bottom now random hills and dells. Spring floods flowed over the Hudson River Valley for thousands of yrs unabated by man. Places such as Newcomb NY fed our area parts of themselves. Leftovers from slow moving events over millions of yrs. Molding discarding , shaping , leveling.............and it continues......................

No comments: