Saturday, March 27, 2010

Castleton Elementary School Time Capsule 12033

I had to make a quick trip to Albany from 11001. I did a quick side trip to Castleton NY. As I passed by the newly rebuilt CES I had a sudden memory. A time capsule was buried in the 1950's in the back playground area. It was placed there when the school had a tree planting to commerate Arbor Day. The entire old playground area has been removed and replaced by parking lots and driveways. The tree is gone and may have been for a number of years. The time capsule was buried under that tree. I have this sneaking suspicion the carefully planned capsule has been wiped out by the modern construction. Checking with other classmates we collectively remember it had the date and members of the class , teachers and administrators that planted it. History is fleeting quite often. A lost memory of an old school assembly to a new driveway.

No comments: