Monday, May 3, 2010

the Night King Was Assassinated Castleton NY 12033

It was 4/4/68. dinner was over it was a fairly warm evening for that time of year. The news came over the TV that Martin Luther King had been shot and soon after that had died. 1968 was in the process of becoming a tough year . Assassination , riots , political unrest ect. I had to travel to the north end of my hometown to deliver some package to a Grace Davis near Boltwood Avenue. This area was located on the heights above the Hudson River. As I turned a corner near the Ennis home I could look out and see the distant Albany NY. About 4 miles away as the crow flies. I could see in what was left of the evening light a slight glow and a rising cloud of misty smoke rising . Buildings were burning , smoke was rising near what was to be named the Nelson Rockefeller Plaza. When I got out of the car in the still evening a faint sound of sirens might be heard if you listened carefully. The MLK riots were just beginning , America was on fire. This memory was rekindled as I have just begun to read the new book Hellhound on his Trail by Hampton Sides. A retelling of the assassination of MLK and the investigation and manhunt that followed.

No comments: