Monday, June 28, 2010

Forty Years After Graduation Maple Hill High School 12033

Well it was forty yrs ago on a June 25th evening I and my class graduated from Maple Hill High School in the Castleton NY 12033 area. I casually observed the class of 2010 graduate. I was at a fair distance away , on a hill overlooking the soccer field. I had come of my most recent archaelogy project and was in a rough state of appearance. These ceremonies have changed remarkably little over the yrs. The quest speaker tries to give a moments sage advice. Parents and relations watch on with a mixture pride , anxiety and relief that their children have come this far. Many of the kids sitting in cap and gown wish to go and get to the beer at various graduation parties. How I remember. When I graduated , the audience was still populated with WWII veterans. People with memories of the great depression. No longer , now it's post 60's generation with a very different set of memories. The class of 70 graduated during the Vietnam war , this new class has far away conflicts some will personally face. I was struck how similar a feel it all had , with a few changes I could have been in those seats. A true Deja-Vu moment overtook me , all over again. Time to go , let this class go on to their lives.....hopefully some dreams fullfilled.

No comments: