Friday, October 14, 2011

In Praise of Brooklyn Atleast The DeKalb Area Anyway

 I was 20 yrs of age when I first stepped onto the streets of Brooklyn New York coming up the subway steps. I was visiting a friend while I was in the Christmas break from college. He was a Pratt Institute student engaged in the study of architecture. Both coming from small towns he was  a young man rapidly falling for the city he would make his home. I must say my first impression was not good. Still too much the country kid I was  somewhat stunned by the activity around be. From Grand Central Station to mid-town Manhattan to the crush of rush hour in the subways. It was early January 1971 probably in the later stages of   the { MAD MEN} era of the city. Brooklyn seemed  dark and run down in that first impression. The better days seemed behind this area....Dodgers gone west years earlier , perhaps a certain post 60's weariness had set in. Whatever. I spent the next four days getting to know Pratt and the surrounding area. To me it felt somewhat angry and depressive  and dark , a downward trend seemed apparent. This prelude now brings us to the same area only the year is 2011 on a warm early October Sunday not long ago. I was visiting the same said friend who made his home on DeKalb Avenue. Had dinner there with his family in his Brownstone. Afterwards , we took a drive in his new Prius , his 40 miles to the gallon new car. We drove around the area , there was activity galore all around the neighborhood. There was an outdoor October fest going on with long lines to get in , people in outdoor cafe's having dinner. People biking and walking and a young lady taking pictures with an old style box camera we engaged in conversation with. Some new buildings have been built in these past number of years since I first visited. A variety of people enjoying a beautiful fall evening. We also went past the new colosseum  being built to house the now New Jersey Nets. Pro sports to return to the area. I was and am impressed.  After our car ride over a glass of Applejack  I complimented Ron on having faith to buy here so many yrs ago.  It is a vibrant , comfortable , attractive place to hang your hat , to use an old phrase. Much different from my youthful first impression. Later on during my drive home that night I had a verse from the Bible come into my head. From Corinthians : Old things shall pass away. Behold all things are new.

No comments: