Friday, October 5, 2012

International James Bond Day....007

I was 11 yrs old when the first James Bond movie  premiered  50 yrs ago today. Dr. No was the title. I was later that spring to see it  at a drive in movie in the nearby town of East Greenbush New York. Later in my life I would start to read all of Ian Fleming's novels. There has been tons of items written about Bond in the last few days concerning this celebration day. I doubt I can add much. This now icon of the secret agent genre has been much studied , sifted through , items sold at auction  talked about. This fictional character starting in the declining yrs of The British Empire going through the cold war and the sixties to the fall of the Berlin wall to our age of terrorist fears he has been with us. All my life. I suspect he will out live me. I guess to me he has become that mysterious uncle or whispered about relative we know from a distance. Someone who seems to spend time in the shadows. There are in reality people like this ,, like the seal teams etc. So my compliments to his creator and movie producers for the fantasy of the glamorous shadows. It's been a great run these 50 yrs.

No comments: