Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Saint aka Simon Templar Returns 2013

 After many starts and stops it has been announced that a pilot for a new series of The Saint will begin shooting next month. Simon Templar most famously played by Pre-Bond  Roger Moore  will be played by actor Adam Rayner. His on again off again love interest and fellow sleuth companion Patrica Holm is slated to be acted by Eliza Dushka.  I think this time will be the charm and the project will finally come to fruition. After the current success of the James Bond movie Skyfall  it all most seemed to me to be preordained that the man who predated Bond by more than 20yrs  would be resurrected. Perhaps it is not just 007 that has a hobby of resurrection. {See Skyfall for the reference to resurrection}.  My association with this character goes back to my aunt who knew the author Leslie Charteris somewhat in Florida and loved his work. Trust me my middle name was all most Templar. At her death she willed me one of my prize possessions . an autographed edition of The Saint in New York , perhaps his seminal work. Since I am being honest I might as well tell you that my tattoo was based on  The Saint logo from the late 1990's movie. It shocked my wife. So, anyway being the amateur archeologist that I am , it  is of interest to me that an old series has again been rediscovered. Barbara Broccoli  a current producer of the Bond films once said in an interview that her father , the original Bond film producer Cubby told her that if she ever needed help in  understanding what to do in the next Bond movie she should never be afraid to go back to the original texts by Fleming. That is where the essence of the character is. With any luck , Templar will be given a modern lift but with a careful understanding of the original by Charteris. We shall see.

No comments: