Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Simon Templar : RIP ?

 I have been reluctant to write this blog. Being a fan of old style detective fiction and spy fiction , whether it be Phillip Marlowe or James Bond {he started in 1952} or Simon Templar The Saint.1928. I do think some interesting literature came from these authors , Ian Fleming , Leslie Charteris , Dorothy Sayers etc. But times and tastes change. The hardboiled Private Eye has given way to more technological  or  a more cultured type of agent. So after waiting for the new Saint pilot to be made and  sold for production my actress daughter has informed me that this project is as dead as a door nail to use an old phrase. The expensive pilot did not appeal  to those entertainment  powers that be. So it appears this era of sleuth sainthood is over. After multiple books , movies , radio and TV shows it may very well be RIP for Templar. That stick figure with the halo is probably retired as a long standing logo. But the updated logo for the 90's movie of a lightening bolt with a halo remains my tattoo.
 So I finally decided that this obit of sorts should now be written. Mind you my Aunt who socially knew the creator Leslie Charteris in Ocala FL and tried to convince  my Mom to give me the middle name Templar is rolling over in her grave. It appears time to say good by.

No comments: