Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Reverberator Discovered/Schodack NY

Helping friend clean out their Mother's garage I discovered an odd piece of automotive and radio history. It was buried under old records & old Haynes repair manuals for VW Bugs and items such as that. It was odd enough to stop for a couple of minutes and look it over. At first I had to think exactly what it was and then it came to me from a memory of the mid-sixties. Essentially circa 1964 or 1965 It was labeled a reverberator and it was once a "Hip" sort of item to have installed in your car. What it was essentially did was to create an electronic echo chamber. It made your top forty radio station sound atleast in theory "better". As a matter of fact probably the main reason I have any memory at all of this craze is that my older brother had one installed in his car. A few days later I thought about the Reverberator. A few memories surfaced . This was a time when many cars had duel antennas which people thought would give better radio reception. They were wrong but it looked "cool" anyway. FM radio existed but not yet in heavy use and most cars sold did not yet have AM / FM radios , only AM. I do remember a few cars driven by a younger crowd driving by with radios blasting and hearing the echo sound. Weird. Anyway this echo chamber era was a real short one. Probably if my memory serves me maybe a year. People began to find them to be irritating , began to turn them off and they began to go off the market. Later sixties or early seventies garage sales began to have them up for sale {CHEAP}. So anyway.....that item is now discarded in an electronic recycle bin. Farewell to a short lost era.

No comments: