Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Saint Will Be Back : James Purefoy As Templar

 I was informed last night by Feed Blitz that the actor James Purefoy has been once again selected to be the famous Simon Templar. He was scheduled to do the role a couple of yrs ago but they say complications intervened etc etc . So the  filming is scheduled to begin apparently this July in New Orleans. As a minor league history guy why does this interest me , a TV movie of an old semi forgotten sleuth. Well first , I like old time detective fiction. Maltese Falcon , The Thin Man etc. My dog is named after Dashiell Hammet the author of many classics of the genre. But it occurred  to me late last night perhaps something slightly more interesting is going on , at least to me. A new James Bond novel is due out next month by Jeffrey Deaver , a new  Saint novel is being worked on by Burl Baer. James Bond movie # 23 is soon to start production and is due out in 11/12. Last and I hope not least it has been reported that Johnny Depp has signed on to do the next reincarnation of The Thin Man. The first Saint novel published in 1928 , Bond 1951 , The Thin Man 1932 I believe. All 3 authors long dead. So why do we as a segment of society keep going back to characters  such as these ?  I have actually given this topic some thought. Both in my career & life I have seen in people deal with all the changes that have been piled on in the last few yrs. As a matter of fact I myself am sick of phrases such as "you have got to embrace change". Bullshit ! I have had my share of change , liked some , dealt with some but I will embrace what I choose to embrace. These figures from the secret agent past  perhaps shows us folks a figure who despite danger feels comfortable in their skin and continue to be as they are. They do as all ways give us escape. To give a strained metaphor they are our lighted lamp post in the night we can lean against , light a cigarette ,  take a breath and continue our walk down  the troubled street ahead. I told you it was strained.

No comments: