Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Moordener Kill Schodack NY

This is my first blog from a hotel , the Best Western at Franklyn Square Inn in Troy New York. I have spent the last couple of days exploring the lower Moordener Kill in Schodack/Castleton New York area. Met a couple of fisherman and 4 kids swimming under the lower falls. School is out and the kids so far seemed to enjoy the summer. Even in the later 19th Century this was an area of recreation. I have found old nails and such I believe from when there were benches below the lower falls. People would use that area to cool off and enjoy the natural beauty. Trust me I find that area still  quite attractive despite remainders of industrial use like the concrete pilings. On ebay I have purchased a postcard postmarked July of 1913. It shows the upper falls. Though written in pencil it was sent to a lark Street location in Albany. I can read a portion saying wonderful time , beautiful town. The falls were apparently a beauty spot of Schodack. I have  read old letters telling of people  taking their Sunday's after church in the gorge area reading newspapers and playing in the water etc. Probably the coolest part of the area to be in on a hot summer day. This went on even into the 1950's where people ice skated above the upper falls then known as The Dam. Also swimming in various parts of the stream. On Patrick Way there was a place known as The Grove. Picnic tables and places to cookout were there and many families and church groups reserved time . There was also a small store  that sold soda and basics of that nature.  Essentially an old fashioned swimming hole. Times have certainly changed especially since the suburban push began in the late 1950's , early 1960's  within the village and town. We were going from a rural backwater to more a suburban culture very rapidly.  This is why I have spent time on my last couple of trips , finding evidence of this past though much has been flushed to the Hudson river where it empties. So after a long day of this searching it is time for dinner and an early goodnight.

4 comments:

JimC said...

Hi -- I enjoyed your post. I would love to correspond about Moordener Kill: jcnkge@gmail.com . I am planning a trip soon to try to find gravesites of my ancestors (c. 1845) who I believe may be along Moordener somewhere in the vicinity of Rabie Road.

Thanks, Jim

hudson hawk said...

Jim C....for whatever reason I can't seem to get a message to you through G mail so my suggestion to you is this. My aunt Lorreta Harris published a book several yrs back on the families and grave yards of the area. I believe there is a copy still in the Town Historian's office located in the Town Hall on Rt 9& 20 in Schodack. That might be a good place to start. Let me know

Josh W. said...

hey, i just wanted to let you know that my family bought the grove in the 60's and i think its awesome that you mentioned us, i am the third generation of the family and i still live here.

hudson hawk said...

Josh....Sorry it took so long to answer your post. Very nice to be contacted by the owners of the old Grove. Nice place to live. Hope to meet some day.