Tuesday, September 6, 2011

U.S. Open Tennis : A Different Sporting Event

 Well, my wife Beth and I were comped a couple of tickets to the U.S. Open in Flushing Meadows at the Tennis Center. Next door The New York Mets were playing a night game. As we waited to go through security I realized that it would not take a Sherlock Holmes to figure out this was a different sporting event. As we entered the bld a lady in an evening gown was playing a harp. We wandered a bit. One thing that venue has is great bars. I was able to get a new drink from a knowledgeable bartender. A Carte Blanche , a drink developed for the new James Bond novel by Micheal Deaver. So as I sipped my drink feeling somewhat under dressed , and feeling all  like a kid from farm country  in upstate New York in the small town of Schodack. So , as I looked at myself in the bar mirror I uttered words of  strength and  what I always considered one of the great movie lines.. I said very quietly to myself.......Bond........James Bond.  OK lets get to this event. We walked towards our seats , we passed two women , one playing a flute , the other doing  an Isadora Duncan type of dance. Nice. Anyway I have been to many a Yankees , Mets  Jets game. I have even been to a couple of professional MLS games and watch soccer from England occasionally. This crowd does not chant , do the wave , boo , yell , or generally get excited. What is allowed is a polite applause and not often. One hears the announcer request , "Quiet Please".  We watched our match , ate some good food and let the evening play out. Upon occasion , one could hear the crowd from the nearby Mets game. Ah yes baseball. So I visited the land where there is no tailgating , or raucous behavior. No beer and a hotdog crowd here. It had it's nice moments don't get me wrong. But as  we wandered back to our car , I realized that this was nice and interesting to be involved in. I am not a big tennis fan and was all ready thinking about the  upcoming Jets game  against Dallas.

No comments: