Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tropical Storm Irene Aftermath: A Different View Of Loss

 On my way back down to 11509 from the New York Capital Region , I traversed some of the flood damaged area. Towns like Windham NY in Columbia County essentially wiped out in flooding. People loosing so much ,loss of life being the greatest of course. But carefully let me sight a different sense of loss. History. A stretch of stone fence I have worked on near the Taconic Parkway was blown away by flood waters. An old stone foundation which I had discovered near there , washed away. Some older homes built in the early 1800's crushed by the torrent.  We can loose many things in natural disasters. Our sense of history can also be carted off to become rubble. A well constructed stone fence circa early 1800's  withstanding time , weather , the seasons , decades of gravity , mans desire to build over these areas. Washed away in a matter of a couple of hours of flash floods.  Not human life , or great material possessions in many cases but a signature of the past disappears never to be duplicated. I thought it worth a mention.

No comments: